Partnerships are common forms of business that generate an uncommon amount of litigation. Changes in partners and other circumstances can lead to partnership dissolutions; and partnership agreements often seem less clear than they seemed at signing. And because partnerships are frequently used to own real property, which may frequently is located in other states, even your New York lawyer needs to be familiar not only with New York law but also the laws of other jurisdictions. Successful litigation of partnership disputes requires a keen understanding of partnership laws as well as litigation procedure, strategy and tactics.
Past and present clients include:
- Former law firm partner sued by his former firm for allegedly overdrawing his share of profits relying on the doctrine of quasi estoppel, we used the firm-prepared form K-1 to preclude the firm from claiming that the partner had a negative capital account
- Law firms and individual attorneys in law firm dissolutions
- Limited and minority partners seeking to enforce their rights under partnership and limited partnership agreements, or suing for breaches of fiduciary duty
- Majority, general and controlling partners in managing the affairs of the partnership and defending against claims that they breached their fiduciary duties
- Partners and partnerships involved in claims that a partner breached obligations under partnership agreements or fiduciary duties under state law